Winterized..... again

Razorback

Winterized..... again

Post by Razorback »

We are going to have our first outing next weekend. Maybe 2 weeks ago, I de-winterized the Avion in preparation for our trip. Wouldn't you know? It is lightly snowing now, and we have a couple of mid to upper 20 nights forecast before we leave.

Went to Tractor Supply Co. this morning and got some RV anti-freeze.... they have it for $2.99/gallon, locally. Got the Avion winterized.... again!!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Winterized..... again

Post by KYAvion »

I use ours throughout the winter so I've plumbed mine so I've got two valves to open to drain all the lines and water heater. Works great and I only have to dump antifreeze in the p-traps, which at some point I am going to replace with HepvO traps to eliminate that task. I can snap some pics sometime if you want.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

That's a great idea.

Our Avion has the normal two drain valves. If I leave the hot water tank unbypassed, do you think the tank will drain? I haven't looked at it that closely.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Here's a couple pics. I haven't removed the bypass yet, but when I do I'm going to have just two plastic PEX elbows at the water heater. For the meantime though, the bypass just remains open. As you can see I replaced the factory low point drains with PEX elbows that are controlled by two ball valves. The two valves shown are the only ones I have to open to drain the entire system. Any little bit of water left over isn't enough to hurt anything. Of course the kitchen and bath lines are all sloped mostly downhill to get the majority of the water out when the valves are opened. There are some low spots, but nothing too bad. All connections points (tees, elbows) do angle downhill though so no water gets trapped in any fittings. I had the same setup in my prior Airstream, so I've drained everything this way numerous times over the past 7 years, with repeated weekend use in well below freezing temps.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Dan'l

Post by Dan'l »

We did the same thing! Took the Avion out of storage before winter was over. The weather during the first week of March was too nice to let it pass. We enjoyed three nights at Table Rock State Park just as the redbuds began to show color.

A few days after we got home the temps dropped into the low 20s. Fortunately Walmart had RV antifreeze on an end-of-season sale, so it didn't seem like such a waste of money.
Dan & Marlene
1989 Avion 34VB
2008 Toyota Sequoia
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thanks, Dan. You and I live in a beautiful part of the country, huh?

I found that Tractor Supply has a good price on RV anit-freeze. I don't remember how their price compares with Walmart.... don't shop there any longer.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Dan'l

Post by Dan'l »

We don't live near Tractor Supply.
I paid $2/gal on clearance at WM
Dan & Marlene
1989 Avion 34VB
2008 Toyota Sequoia