Opened a can of worms

CFRresque

Opened a can of worms

Post by CFRresque »

I started to gut the interior and found some floor rot at the nose and by the time I got to the bathroom, I now realize I have to take the shell off and replace the whole floor. If there is anyone out there that can give me some pointers on hoe the shell is attached to the frame and how to get to the fasteners. Thanks in advance.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Opened a can of worms

Post by KYAvion »

I have an 84 so floor replacement is apparently different on mine since the floor can be easily removed and replaced.

If your floor runs between the shell and the frame, I suspect you may have to remove the lower interior skins (and possibly belly skin) to access the fasteners. Regarding shell removal, I imagine that if you place some shims between the shell and frame while you remove the floor, that you could replace the floor without removing the shell. A pneumatic cut off wheel works great for cutting off fasteners in tight spaces, although you need a decent size compressor to run one. A corded grinder with a thin cut off disc (1/16" thick) would work too.

Hopefully someone more familiar with a trailer of your year will chime in.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

What year of Avion? Shell normally doesn't have be removed like with an Airstream.
Tom

Post by Tom »

If yours is an earlier Avion, it is true that the shell is attached through the outer floor edges. Mine is in the shop addressing that issue right now. I replaced sections of the flooring on my '61T20. I worked around, not realizing for sure what the heck. I pulled the rotten sections out and notched the replacing pieces to startle the outer fastenings. Recently became concerned about the clearance between front tongue/frame and outer shell. I have continually caulked this. Recently noticed the shell seemed to bounce a bit in the front. Maybe 1/16-1/8th. Cayo suggests going around where the wall meets the floor. Use hole saw to cut base of wall and run screws down through inter wall rim, into the outer floor edge. Friend of ours did that about every 10- 12 inches around the dinette area in the front. Then patch with aluminum and pop rivets. In a ways from the door and around that dinette area. His is an early 64 or 65, ours is a '61.