1987 34W - New plumbing vent covers for the roof

Razorback

1987 34W - New plumbing vent covers for the roof

Post by Razorback »

I was on the roof a week or so ago and noticed that the two plumbing vents were brittle and needing to be replaced.

Went to Lowes today and bought two Danco Galvanized Vent Covers, $7.79/ea: http://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-Stainless ... ap/3132681

Attaching several pictures of the project. Took a couple of hours to do the two.

A very nice result that didn't cost a lot of money.
Attachments
resizedIMG_1404.JPG
resizedIMG_1405.JPG
resizedIMG_1406.JPG
resizedIMG_1407.JPG
resizedIMG_1408.JPG
resizedIMG_1409.JPG
resizedIMG_1410.JPG
resizedIMG_1411.JPG
resizedIMG_1412.JPG
resizedIMG_1413.JPG
resizedIMG_1414.JPG
resizedIMG_1415.JPG
resizedIMG_1416.JPG
resizedIMG_1417.JPG
resizedIMG_1418.JPG
resizedIMG_1419.JPG
resizedIMG_1420.JPG
resizedIMG_1421.JPG
resizedIMG_1422.JPG
resizedIMG_1423.JPG
resizedIMG_1425.JPG
resizedIMG_1426.JPG
Last edited by Razorback on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
FrancescaS

Re: 1987 34W - New plumbing vent covers for the roof

Post by FrancescaS »

Nralifer

I saw these vents just yesterday at Lowes too, but not at a point where I am ready to replace mine. They do look good, great job.
I did have a question though about the differences in materials, the aluminum vs the galvanized steel vents.... I think that was what they were made of, won't they react with each other? Or is there thick enough Parbond between the two?
FrancescaS
1969 Avion Argonaut
No Tow Vehicle Yet
Tampa, FL
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

FrancescaS wrote:Nralifer

I saw these vents just yesterday at Lowes too, but not at a point where I am ready to replace mine. They do look good, great job.
I did have a question though about the differences in materials, the aluminum vs the galvanized steel vents.... I think that was what they were made of, won't they react with each other? Or is there thick enough Parbond between the two?
Good point, Francesca. I did try to get a good layer of ParBond between the two. I could also envision using butyl tape to make the seal. I think the main concern is to use aluminum rivets or screws to fasten these to the roof. On the job I did, I made sure there was lots of ParBond on the roof and on the rivets. I think they'll be OK.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Nice job on the vents. I bet you'll be fine with the dissimiliar metals, especially since you have a good bead of Parbond in between and used aluminum rivets. Where'd you get that large tube of Parbond anyway?

A couple articles on galvanic corrosion...sounds like aluminum and galvanized metal aren't too dissimiliar anyway...
Dissimilar Metals in Contact American Galvanizers Association.pdf
Preventing Galvanic Corrosion.pdf
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Nice job on the vents. I bet you'll be fine with the dissimiliar metals, especially since you have a good bead of Parbond in between and used aluminum rivets. Where'd you get that large tube of Parbond anyway?

A couple articles on galvanic corrosion...sounds like aluminum and galvanized metal aren't too dissimiliar anyway...
Dissimilar Metals in Contact American Galvanizers Association.pdf
Preventing Galvanic Corrosion.pdf
One of my local RV shops has those large tubes for sale. I like the caulk gun approach..... easier for me to control the flow. Regardless of the tube size, I like wearing black nitrile gloves while I'm using the ParBond. Maybe it's just me, but I end up getting it all over my hands otherwise. Paint thinner gets it off, but I'd rather not have to use that on my skin if I don't have to. Using the gloves allows me to wet the tip of my index finger and swipe it over the newly placed bead of ParBond (on a taped seam) before I removed the painter's tape. Allows the tape to release smoothly from the ParBond and makes a nice, smooth seam. Remember.... ParBond will start skinning over in short order. I have found that even if I have taped off a long length of a seam, I try to use maybe 5'-6' pieces of tape. That way I can squeeze out the ParBond on that 5'-6' area (not too much), swipe the seam with paint thinner, then pull off that section of tape. That way the ParBond will cure without the painter's tape stuck to it.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Becky B.

Post by Becky B. »

IMG_0429.JPG
I used all aluminum vents that I got from Mobil Home Depot of Ft. Myers Florida. The shipping cost as much as the vents ($20 total IRCC)
Last edited by Becky B. on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Looks good, Becky B.!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W