Gary in Vegas - 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Towing Rigs, Hitches, Weight Distribution, Sway Control
Gary Potter

Gary in Vegas - 2008 Tahoe Hybrid

Post by Gary Potter »

New member and new to camping. Searching for a tow-able RV w/ a max weight of 6000# and a tongue weight of 600#. I live in Las Vegas and have more than 20 national parks with in a 5 hour drive.

I first stumbled upon the Avion Travel Trailer from several posts of a renovator in Phoenix and have since been hooked. I'm hopeful i can find something under 30 ft with twin beds and a front lounge. I'n told this is doable.

I suspect there will be lots of questions but I promise to search this site for answers before asking here.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Gary in Vegas

Post by KYAvion »

Hi Gary. Welcome to the site and feel free to ask away with questions. Just keep questions/topics in the appropriate forums so they're easy to find by future users, but please ask away.

I've got a 30R and it's too heavy for what you're looking for, but it's a great size. What's your tow vehicle BTW? The 25H may be just what your looking for, but I'm not sure how easy they are to find.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I may have spoke too soon on that 25H. I pulled up specs for a 1987 and it's just shy of 5,000 lbs and has a tongue weight of 725lbs. That of course is with none of your stuff in it. You could beef up your rear suspension, but that's opening another can of worms.

Someone that knows more than me will chime in about whether older Avions would be light enough for what you're wanting.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Welcome to the forum!

We have a 1978 26-H. Travel ready, the trailer weighs about 6000# and has a tongue weight of about 600#. However, we travel with all tanks empty (It has a 50 gallon fresh water tank, which I believe would add another 400# to trailer weight). Also, we are "weekend warriors" -- My wife and I both work full time and do mostly weekend trips and usually one longer trip each year. Point being that we do not carry a lot in our trailer.

If you find a 25' or 26' Avion, you may be able to make the numbers work, but as KYAvion said, mid size Avions are more difficult to find. There are also 23' and smaller Avions that are lighter (they tend be rare as well). I think a more capable tow vehicle would definitely increase your options. I can tell you that if I had an HD truck, I would definitely add a 34' Avion to our fleet :)

Good luck!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Hi, Gary in Vegas. Welcome to the forum.
I have nothing to add to what has already been said, other than I know you have made wise choice by looking for an Avion.
I look forward to following your quest!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Gary Potter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm New member and new to camping. Searching for a tow-able RV w/ a max weight of 6000# and a tongue weight of 600#. I live in Las Vegas and have more than 20 national parks with in a 5 hour drive.

I first stumbled upon the Avion Travel Trailer from several posts of a renovator in Phoenix and have since been hooked. I'm hopeful i can find something under 30 ft with twin beds and a front lounge. I'n told this is doable.

I suspect there will be lots of questions but I promise to search this site for answers before asking here.
What kind of tow vehicle will you be using? What are its tow specs?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

I'm planning on using my 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid RWD. The manual says it rated 600 tongue and 6000 payload. I had a dealer in Vegas 'looked it up' and said it was 6600 and a dealer in North TX said it would increase by 1000 to 1500 lbs with a beefed up weight distribution hitch.

The Tahoe is our daily driver and it's paid for. I can go lighter and/or smaller but I really don't want to purchase a new vehicle. I like the 'vintage' look and hope that the Avion line has something that fits the bill. Center or rear twin. A lounge would be a bonus.

And thanks for the help.

I have not had much luck finding a link to comprehensive specs (length's, weights, configs, etc.). If someone would post a link here, I'd sure appreciate it.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

The tongue weight is a non issue then, since you would not be towing without weight distribution anyway.

Can you say more about what makes your Tahoe a hybrid? Also, how much will you be driving on flat vs hilly roads?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I would definitely NOT rely on the stock receiver hitch on the Tahoe, but find the heaviest-rated after-market receiver you can find. Doesn't mean you have to haul the max. weight, but I really like the idea of a stout receiver.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Gary Potter

Post by Gary Potter »

The Tahoe Hybrid runs on electric up to 30 mph (if you can go easy on acceleration) then a mix of electric and gas at speed - half and half when the tac settles down to 1800. I get 22 to 25 on the hwy. 18 to 20 in town. Last trip LAS to DAL towing a uhaul 15 to 18.

I'll be happy to change our the receiver to keep my current ride.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I just have to find a trailer.
Retirement is underrated
'Dewey' an '84 30P
Gary Potter