Been lurking a while

A little about yourself
LFCox

Been lurking a while

Post by LFCox »

My name is L.,F. Cox...I have a really nice 25' 1977 Travelcader. I've owned two wide body Airstreams a 19' 1999 Bambi with a salvage title (that I replaced the water pump, water heater, refrigerator and the power convertor) I also had really nice 25' 2000 Safari that was pretty much trouble free. Sad to say both my Airstreams leaked like a sieve when they deemed it convenient. New window gaskets are not available for those years.

A couple years back I sold my 2000 model Airstream and started looking at Avions...I've been an Avion owner for a couple of years. My 1977 Avion is leak free and pulls like a guided missile. With the exception of the AM/FM and the CB radio everything works like a charm (I just haven't got around to fixing them).
The 1977 anodized skin has one egg sized dent above the front right marker light and a few light scratches...both my newer Airstreams showed more skin damage. One thing that really amazed me was the great condition of the 5 canvas awnings. The water pump is a newer model....The water heater looks original and works on 110 volts or gas. I replaced the original 3 way refrigerator (it worked the temperature was not consistent on gas and hard to change over from gas to electric) with a new 2 way Norcold I also replaced the newer roof air with a nicer more streamlined Dometic model. I've also replaced the door and screen door gaskets and both 18" vents and redone the roof.

I really like my Avion.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Been lurking a while

Post by KYAvion »

Welcome and I agree on the Avion vs Airstream. I had a 79 Airstream that I loved, but I must say I prefer the Avion.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Re: Been lurking a while

Post by Razorback »

Hello, and welcome to the forum! So glad you are liking your Avion!

I have not personally owned an Airstream, but my folks had a late 70's Airstrean (27-foot, I think), then traded it on an early 80's Avion 34V. That is where I got to know the differences between the two. When I finally got to where I could buy a trailer, I knew it would be an Avion. I can't imagine having anything else, unless it would be an additional C-11 truck camper!

Folks buy each for a lot of different reasons. Seems like a lot of Airstream owners bought theirs to be part of "the club" and Airstream certainly caters to that, while Avion owners seem to be just as loyal because they know they are a superior trailer. However, Avion marketed their trailers to make you feel like "your ship just came in", too. I am always glad to see another Avion "saved", restored, and used!

How I wish Avions were still being built! Airstream really needs some competition!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???