New Avion Owner in Northern Maine

A little about yourself
NorthernMaineAvion

New Avion Owner in Northern Maine

Post by NorthernMaineAvion »

Hi everyone! I just bought a 1978 Avion 26 H with rear bedroom side bath and I am so excited! It is in pretty good shape overall.

The not great and bad:

Needs 4 tires due to extensive rot, trying to decide what to replace them with, ST tires in radial or bias. It does not have the fresh water tank or the belly pan cover to it but the lines are intact. The water heater is missing and the furnace is rusty like not used in ages ( was in Florida ) so prob not functional. No propane tanks, no batteries. Unknown if the AC unit is alive. No key to the door and inner handle is broken off but still enough of a stub to use. They cut a hole for supplementary heat in the panel that used to cover the removed water heater. They piped in head from a wood stove in a shed.

The good and the great:

The original stove was dead and they replaced it with a new gas cooktop only and placed a microwave in the gap underneath. Perfect for my taste. It has a total floor redo, pristine kitchen cabinets and bathroom, new fridge, new propane heater in the front cabinet next to refrigerator. I may replace that since its non-vented. All new gas lines throughout. All outlets and lights work. Has had the rear bedroom cabinets removed along with the 2 bunks and now has a futon with deluxe memory foam mattress. 2 recliners in the front living area as well as TV and stereo. The kitchen is fully stocked with cookware and utensils. The prior owners lived in it this winter on top of a bald hill where the winds blow constantly so it is definitely hardy construction.

I may do the baking pan extruded aluminum adapter method and install 2 new Maxxair vents. I will button up the bottom after tossing in some insulation where there is a gap from the missing tank. It will be stationary for a while and wont need a tank just yet. I have a on demand propane camping shower so hot water wont be an issue. If the AC is dead I may try to research a replacement that also incorporates a heat pump and take care of 2 issues at once. I could use the original furnace space for a direct vent furnace to supplement.

I may be the most northern Avion owner in the USA here at the top of Maine...

See picture link below

Vince
Last edited by NorthernMaineAvion on Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New Avion Owner in Northern Maine

Post by KYAvion »

Congrats on the new trailer! Pics look great!

Consider upgrading to 16" rims and going with a light truck tire. I went with Cooper Discoverer HT3 rib tires myself.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New Avion Owner in Northern Maine

Post by KYAvion »

Also, a heat pump won't do much below 40. A new furnace isn't too pricey or difficult to install.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R