New here and learning about Avion

A little about yourself
Henry

New here and learning about Avion

Post by Henry »

Hi , my name is henry,
Today I went and looked at a 1970 ultra 31, I'd never heard of Avion , she's been sitting since 1992 ,I'm guessing buy the 92 license plate . I found her at an old closed campground,that's now used for events for at risk youth,I was chaperoning a young man a couple weeks ago, and I saw her sitting a distance away and I thought it was an old airstream , I inquired and I came back today to take a look . So she's been sitting outside for 25 years, she's been occupied a few times and I was told that everything works, there were no dents in the body, I stood at the back corner and look down along the edge and the sides were straight , The belly pan had dents and gaps. In the interior it was quite dirty smells a lot like mouse pee , the mice found a really nice trailer to live in. The windows are intact , Except for there's a crack in the front window weird thing was the oven look like it had never been used. The woodwork looked good . It has between the wheels what looks like a leveling system on both sides it's about six or 7 inches square with a piston extended down to a block of wood ,the tires believe it or not have air in them. I have no idea of what to offer the owners ,oh she didn't have any soft spots in the floor, well that I could find. She needs a lot of work before she's useable,but I think she's fairly sound , but I'm thinking rewired ,new plumbing,new furnace,new A/C , refrigerator,the stove is ok ,I think. So any ideas on what she's worth ,I'm thinking $2000.00,or less , I'll have to put new tires on it to move it , repack the wheel bearings , and probably the brakes , doing drum brakes and repacking wheel bearings is an old old skill that I use to have ,I was learning to ride a motorcycle they year she was made and wondering if I'd get drafted in A couple of years . I have decided that if I take this project on ,I'll name her Gray Gertrude or Gertie . She'll be a great project or a money pit or both, kinda like my ex wives.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New here and learning about Avion

Post by KYAvion »

Hi Henry and welcome. Personally I'd be reluctant to pay much for a trailer that has been sitting that long. You'd likely end up with a major project and several expenses, which is ok if you're looking for a potential project. Think rotted flooring, roof leaks, plumbing problems, electrical issues, needing to replace all appliances (water heater, fridge, furnace, a/c, water pump, etc.). None of these things are rocket science to do, but definitely take time. I had a 79 Airstream that needed all these things. Or you may get lucky and not have too many issues at all, but I'd count on some floor rot and needing to replace the furnace for sure. You mentioned they said everything works, but I'd go through and test everything out to make sure.

I'm not sure about those levelers, but I'd be interested in hearing more about them.

I've seen Avions in pretty good to good condition in the 6K to 12K range that just need a little work to get everything up and running, or are ready to roll just as they are.

Sounds like you just started looking. Check out Craiglist and other online sources (here, facebook). Go look at some other Avions for comparison so you can get a feel for what's out there. Avions are great trailers--better built than Airstreams.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
1971Travelcade

Re: New here and learning about Avion

Post by 1971Travelcade »

the thing between the wheels are your rubber leaf springs. They are part of the MOR/Ryde suspension system . I have the same setup on my '71

Eric D
1971 T-28
Chicago, IL