New to the group...Pewter Palace

A little about yourself
PewterPalace73

New to the group...Pewter Palace

Post by PewterPalace73 »

Hi all,
I recognize many familiar "handles" of the members here as they have been very helpful as my husband Kevin and I embarked on our Avion journey for the first time. We purchased our 1973 LeGrande, 28' in Oct 2016 and before we put her into winter storage we were bound and determined to at least get one night's sleep on her...albeit in our driveway. The night got down to 38 degrees (we are in the Adirondacks of upstate NY afterall) but the furnace worked like a charm and we were snug and happy. We are the fourth owners of this rig and it has seen travels to Alaska (at least twice), Florida (annually from 1974 to early 90's), to CA at least a half dozen times from the east coast and she still is as sound and beautiful as the day she rolled off the line in Feb 1973...#156 to be exact. Now we cannot wait to get her out of storage and back home to fit her up for our first season. We have been collecting things all winter--it even was an Avion Christmas with t-shirts, Travelcader medallions, and our official NY custom license plate of "73 Avion"---so watch for us on the Road!!

The trailer is not 100% original, but we are pleased with the upgrades and new things installed by the most recent owner (who inherited the rig from his uncle the second owner)and did updates in 2012-2015 including; new toilet and plumbing for toilet, new refrig, new subfloor floor (midbody to forward), new AC, new kitchen countertop. The original floorplan had a jack knife or gaucho couch but our former owner removed and had a custom dinette installed in place of that. We since have had the cushions recovered and plan to change the color scheme inside and have replaced the table but the dinette still can function as a bed when needed.

We are not new to RV camping having owned a Class A 32' motorhome from 2006-2013 but sold her and then realized how much we missed not having a rig at the ready in our driveway. With our purchase of a 4WD Chevy Suburban, 2005, z71, 5.3L V8 with 4.1 axel rearend in the summer of 2016, we realized that the possibility of purchasing a tow behind was in our grasp and would be far more convenient and less "motor" issues than a motorhome--not to mention the flexibility of not having to tow a dingy vehicle.

So our adventure into the world of Avions has begun. We are so excited and amazed at the Vintage trailer and specifically the Avion subculture that exists and are looking forward to attending the Silver Avion Fellowship Rally in Indiana this August as well as hopefully some other e.g. Tin Can Tourist rallys soon too!

We retire in 8 years and this may very well become our forever home...but then again...we really like those 1977-31' LaGrande's too footers too---because i always can find use for more closet space!

Thanks for the add....Luisa and Kevin Sherman, Queensbury New York -owners of "The Pewter Palace" http://www.pewterpalace.wordpress.com
Razorback

Re: New to the group...Pewter Palace

Post by Razorback »

Welcome, Luisa and Kevin. Glad to have you here, and am looking forward to hearing about your upcoming outings!

Pictures are always appreciated!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: New to the group...Pewter Palace

Post by KYAvion »

Hi Pewter Palace and welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your Avion!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R