Looks like we'll get at least one more trip!

Anything related to traveling with an Avion
Razorback

Looks like we'll get at least one more trip!

Post by Razorback »

Did some looking at my work schedule and saw where we'll be able to make at least one more camping trip to Branson this year!!! We like to stay at Silver Dollar City's Wilderness Campground, just around the corner from the park.

After that we'll probably put it away for the winter and hope for an early spring!

I hate winter!!!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Razorback

Re: Looks like we'll get at least one more trip!

Post by Razorback »

Made it to the campground this afternoon. Very windy day, but warm. Weather will change drastically starting tomorrow. Much cooler, maybe 29 Sunday morning.

Great camping weather!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

A couple of pics from this morning:
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Got back from seeing It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol at Silver Dollar City. Had a great time, but it was cold and windy this evening.

Now back at the Avion, enjoying dinner and our Wave 8 heater!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

28 degrees this morning, but there are crystal clear skies and the wind has gone to nothing! What a beautiful day!!!

These Avions are insulated very well, and I am appreciative of that in cold weather like this.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Made it home this evening just before dark. Much easier drive home..... hardly any wind!

Unloaded the Avion and did some winterizing. Drained the water tank, the hot water tank, the water lines, and removed the under-counter water filter. Just need to pick up some RV anti-freeze tomorrow.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Just curious, did you run the furnace nonstop? And what was the temperature inside your Avion? Nice photos BTW!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Rostam wrote:Just curious, did you run the furnace nonstop? And what was the temperature inside your Avion? Nice photos BTW!
Thank you!

When we'd get back to the Avion in the evening, I would turn on the furnace (set to 70 degrees) and light the Wave 8. Once the furnace shut off, the Wave 8 maintained the temperature well. When we went to bed, I turned off the Wave 8 and set the furnace to 65. In the morning, I would bump the furnace up to 70 and light the Wave 8 again... furnace wouldn't kick on again once the inside temp made it to 70 or above. I could have survived with it not so warm, but my bride gets cold easily!

Not sure exactly how much propane was used. Our cylinders are 30 lb, the one we were running off of was not full at the beginning of this trip, and I switched to the 2nd cylinder Saturday night. But yes, the furnace ran a lot Friday night.

I really wish we had the Kimberly wood stove!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Thanks for the info. I have never camped in cold weather in our Avion and wanted to have an idea of what to expect!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I do a lot of cold weather camping and an electric blanket and a couple space heaters come in handy. Like NRALifer, I generally only use the furnace to bring the trailer up to temp initially, and then use ceramic space heaters to maintain temps. On really cold nights (singles digits or low 20s) I'll set the furnace thermostat to around 65 or so to keep the temp from dropping too much.

I have found the rear bedroom in my Avion is a little draftier than I expected (compared to my prior 79 Airstream). I haven't isolated the cause yet, but suspect it may be from the storage area beneath the bed. Overall though I expect the Avion to do better than the Airstream since it's fully foamed.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R