Radiant Floor Heat

Floor Repair, Inner Skins, Furnishings, Interior Finishes
silverloaf

Radiant Floor Heat

Post by silverloaf » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:33 pm

I have removed all the carpeting and wood parquet flooring in our trailer. We are leaning toward using waterproof interlocking vinyl plank flooring as replacement throughout.

I'm considering installing radiant heat matting under the plank floor. It would eliminate using space heaters. I'll leave the furnace operational as supplemental or for off-grid camping.

I haven't yet worked out electrical load requirements, installation process and cost-benefit tradeoff. But now is the time to do it if practical.

Has anyone done this...either you or someone else?

Thanks,

Bob

KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Radiant Floor Heat

Post by KYAvion » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm

I have not done this in a trailer, but I REALLY like the idea. I won't be redoing our floor until summer at the earliest, but it's something I plan to research when the time comes. I look forward to hearing about what you come up with.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R

KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Here's a company that popped up for me...

http://www.warmfloor.com/floor-heating/cost-to-operate/
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R

silverloaf

Post by silverloaf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm

KYAvion wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:29 pm
Here's a company that popped up for me...

http://www.warmfloor.com/floor-heating/cost-to-operate/
Thanks for the info. The numbers look very impressive.

All indications are the furnace in our trailer is the original, We haven't had the unit evaluated yet. However, considering the cost of a new furnace and the LPG to run it, the heat mat choice could be a no-brainer.

Again, the only hiccup to not having an operational furnace is boon-docking, which is not in our plans.

Yes, I will report out on my findings. I have lots of time inside to ruminate on this; Besides, it 5 degrees F here and headed to -4; I'm not going anywhere.

Bob