1987 34W - Brake/shock project

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Razorback

1987 34W - Brake/shock project

Post by Razorback »

We got our Avion in October 2013. In the Spring of 2014, I replaced the electric brake assemblies and the shock absorbers. I thought others might like to see the process, and know where to get some good prices on the parts.

Safety Note: ALWAYS support the trailer on something other than a jack or cinder blocks. I prefer to use pieces of 4x4 or 6x6 treated wood blocks. Railroad ties would work nicely, but I didn't have any of those handy.

I ordered the brake assemblies from Southwest Wheel: https://www.southwestwheel.com/p-4090-1 ... blies.aspx
These assemblies come complete with new mounting bolts, lock washers, and nuts. All you have to do is bolt them on, connect the wires, and adjust them.

I ordered the shock absorbers from Stengle Bros.: http://www.stengelbros.net/search.asp?k ... &search=GO

Pictures of the project:
Attachments
resizedDSCF4398.JPG
resizedDSCF4399.JPG
resizedDSCF4400.JPG
resizedDSCF4401.JPG
resizedDSCF4402.JPG
resizedDSCF4403.JPG
resizedDSCF4404.JPG
resizedDSCF4405.JPG
resizedDSCF4406.JPG
resizedDSCF4407.JPG
resizedDSCF4408.JPG
resizedDSCF4409.JPG
resizedDSCF4410.JPG
resizedDSCF4411.JPG
resizedDSCF4417.JPG
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
FrancescaS

Re: 1987 34W - Brake/shock project

Post by FrancescaS »

Hi nralifer

Wow amazing to see what the old brakes and shocks look like! Job well done.
Thank you so much for the effort you have taken to detail and label the work you have done. It is much appreciated and clear.
FrancescaS
1969 Avion Argonaut
No Tow Vehicle Yet
Tampa, FL
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

FrancescaS wrote:Hi nralifer

Wow amazing to see what the old brakes and shocks look like! Job well done.
Thank you so much for the effort you have taken to detail and label the work you have done. It is much appreciated and clear.
Thank you. Sometimes I wonder if I get too detailed. However, when I read through posts about projects that have been done, I like and appreciate detail, especially if it's something I might want to do.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Great write up!
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
FrancescaS

Post by FrancescaS »

Hi Nralifer

Looking at your posts again about brakes and shock replacement and I had a couple questions.....
Do you think the brakes are compatible with older model Avions? Link says compatible with Dexter, which is also on the older Avions, so I am thinking yes, but wondered if you knew for sure.
Also, the newer shocks look a tad longer than the old ones..... did you have to do any alterations to it at all? You do not state that at all. Did you just replace exactly as the older ones were? And do you think these newer shocks are compatible with the older Avion models?
I know I may be asking what only the manufacturer can answer, but you never know.....

Thanks
FrancescaS
1969 Avion Argonaut
No Tow Vehicle Yet
Tampa, FL
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

FrancescaS wrote:Hi Nralifer

Looking at your posts again about brakes and shock replacement and I had a couple questions.....
Do you think the brakes are compatible with older model Avions? Link says compatible with Dexter, which is also on the older Avions, so I am thinking yes, but wondered if you knew for sure.
Also, the newer shocks look a tad longer than the old ones..... did you have to do any alterations to it at all? You do not state that at all. Did you just replace exactly as the older ones were? And do you think these newer shocks are compatible with the older Avion models?
I know I may be asking what only the manufacturer can answer, but you never know.....

Thanks
I wish I had an answer for you about the older Avions...... I don't..... but I know who probably does! Call Chuck Cayo at 269-463-5068 and ask him. Once you find out the answer, let us know here so others won't have to reinvent the wheel (or should I say, "shock"?). Please include a brand and item number that works.

The side-by-side picture of the old and new shocks looks a little deceiving, but they are the same size. The old ones were collapsed and worn out. And, on a lot of the old ones, the nuts that were on the stems were really grown on. The first one I tried to take off after soaking with PB Blaster twisted off using a deep socket, so on the rest of them, I didn't even try to get the nuts off of them. I just broke off the rest. The new shocks went in without any modifications whatsoever.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

When I swapped out tires on my Avion I used a a beefy mounting plate on the MorRyde suspension (which MorRyde said was ok). As far as lifting the trailer via the frame, any concerns there? This is a big issue with Airstreams.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Better yet, Francesca, see if you can get Chuck Cayo to login and reply to your question. I believe he may have an account here.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:When I swapped out tires on my Avion I used a a beefy mounting plate on the MorRyde suspension (which MorRyde said was ok). As far as lifting the trailer via the frame, any concerns there? This is a big issue with Airstreams.
Even though we are comparing apples to oranges when comparing a hack/gag/cough frame :mrgreen: to an Avion frame, you should be careful when raising the Avion by the frame. I like using a bottle jack, so the concern there is to not punch a hole in the frame with the ram of the bottle jack. I use a piece of plate steel on top of the ram, then a piece of 4"x4" on top of that to make contact with the frame just in front of or behind the tires. That spreads the load nicely on the frame. Once I have it up in the air I will build a lattice of 4x4 or 6x6 treated pieces of wood to support the trailer near the jack. I'll do that in as many places as I need to SAFELY support the trailer however I need it. DO NOT USE CONCRETE BLOCKS!!!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W