Replacing my suspension...

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
RISK

Replacing my suspension...

Post by RISK »

So, after talking to Chuck about what suspension maintenance I should do, specifically shocks and leafs springs, he said if it's not broken don't worry about it. He did say that many folks have taken the inner two shocks off leaving just the fore and aft ones. Said it helps to maintain better alignment.
Well, on our last tow home from the coast (Port Aransas to Sunset Valley (Texas y'all)) I noticed the coach listing to the curbside a bit. During a fuel stop I crawled under and noticed the fore leaf spring on the curbside was pretty flattened out compared to the other 3. Perhaps that explained the pull to the right I was feeling. I replaced the leaf springs on my '64 Silverstreak so this should be easy. After getting the 4 replacement leaf springs from Spillar Custom Hitches I did the curbside and quickly realized I'd be replacing the shocks as well. After looking around town with a rusty old shock in hand I finally figured out I'd need 8x Monroe 555031 gas shocks. Advanced Auto had em... for $78 each! I'm not sure I can count that high.
A quick Amazon search, $54 each, better but still painful. After confirming that they wouldn't/couldn't match that price I placed my order. Gotta love Prime, a day and a half and no shipping. I'll shop local whenever possible, but I'm not taking that kind of hit.

I'll report back once everything is back together.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
Rostam

Re: Replacing my suspension...

Post by Rostam »

Hi,
We have a 1978 26-H and like your trailer it needs 2 shocks per wheel for a total of 8. Could please report back if the shock installation was successful? I would then order the shocks.
Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

Rostam,

I got the shocks delivered today about an hour before my wife and children returned from a trip...
Hopefully will get after it tomorrow or the next day and will report back.
Also, I noticed several options for shocks on Avions even of the same year.
I'll post the shock number I'm replacing as well tomorrow as well as pictures from the install.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
RISK

Post by RISK »

Ok... wow.
This is turning into a thing.
The shocks I received (Monroe 555032) were massive compared to the ones I pulled out. No way they were going to fit. So back to the drawing board today. After stopping at a custom trailer place, and rv repair place an Airstream dealer and figured I throw a NAPA auto parts in for good measure I was empty handed. I even called Andy at Inland RV, nope. Called Chuck and left a message. After a 30 minute conversation with the folks at Monroe shocks (the shock in question is a Maeco 610483, they are the same company) I was left with squat. Monroe didn't even have a record of that shock. Searching by measurement and description yielded nothing as well.
Hmmm... I'll call (bug) Chuck again. He answered this time and he said he's run into this problem before. His solution is to either reuse 4 of the 8 shocks (don't put the middle ones in) or modify the trailer to accept available shocks (such as the Gabriel that AS uses). Keeeripes man... who would've thunk shocks would be this difficult?

As of now I'm going through all 8 existing shocks and compiling the best 4 of what I have in shocks and grommets/bushings.
Does anyone else only have 4 shocks total where there were 8? Chuck sites difficult alignment issues with all 8.
Hopefully my welding wizard buddy will call me back soon and come brainstorm this mod with me. Then I'll have a real report for y'all.

More to come...
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Here is what I found in Yahoo's Avion group after spending hours going through the threads (the search box there does not really work). A member who has a 1978 28M posted the following:

"I Just replaced the shocks on my 1978 8.5 m with (Monroe 37047) I had to drill out the lower hole a little but other wise fit good mine had the bottom hole and the top a bolt mount I just posted pics"

Hope this helps
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

That actually helps greatly.
It looks a wee bit longer but by far the closest one I've seen.
Annoying the Monroe guy omitted this shock from our lengthy search.
I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for that,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

You are welcome! Please let us know how it goes.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

Holy macaroni,

They work! The shocks that Rostam told me about fit great with two caveats...
The first is that they are probably 3/8" longer overall including full compression and full extension. I guess it'll bottom out just a wee bit quicker. However, compressing these things is a whole lot harder than the old ones that I could pretend were an accordion.
Second, I did have to bore out the bottom metal bushing to 1/2", but it barely took any material out, maybe 1/32" on all sides.

The only other thing was that on the original shocks, the bottom bushing was proud by about 3/8" and that acted as a stand off on the leaf spring bottom bracket. Essentially keeping it away from the frame and in line with the top stud of the shock.
The replacement shocks had a bushing that was flush with both sides. I solved this with a 3/8" nylon spacer from the Lowes special parts drawer and a stainless fender washer.

This is on my 1978/79 28M Avion.
The shocks are Monroe 37047 (bottom bushing bored out to 1/2")
The nylon spacer from Lowes is by Hilman part #880449
The fender washers were part #114195 (Lowes)

To recap I replaced all four leaf springs, all shackles and hangers, the U-bolts and 4 of 8 shocks (per Chuck).
Cost was under $500 and I did all the work myself. Also dropped part of the belly pan and fixed a leak in the grey water tank while I was down there.

Next up, this strange separation of shell and frame in the front...

Thanks again Rostam,
Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Glad that it worked out! I'll probably replace the shocks on mine next summer.

By any chance, would you be able to post a photo? I'm trying to understand how the Nylon spacing and the fender washers were installed. Thanks!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

Rostam,

I will absolutely post pictures for you (once I figure out what app I need to resize pictures). Basically it was nylon spacer, fender washer, shock then outer nut. Two things I'm a bit suspect of are the amount of force applied to the shock mounts and Chuck's recommendation of just putting the outer shocks on.
I drilled out the bottom bushings on my drill press using cutting oil. I went very slow as the grommets were heating up and starting to smoke and smell. I would do a little of one then switch to another and on down the line. I didn't, however, let my drill bit cool down resulting in some (1/8") shifting of the last bushing. I don't think it'll be a big deal as nothing is truly straight down there.

You can swap out the shocks without taking anything off except the wheel and old shocks (obviously) but it would probably be a good time to freshen up the U bolts, leaf springs and shackles as well. Corrosion X is invaluable for getting old seized parts off. The stuff is absolutely amazing.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre