Replacing my suspension...

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Rostam

Re: Replacing my suspension...

Post by Rostam »

Thanks!

FYI, I use Microsoft Paint to resize the images. I open the image file in Paint, select 'Resize' from the menu, and do 'Resize By Percentage'. Usually, setting the size to 30% of the original makes the image size less than 250KB, and then they could be uploaded.

I used POR-15 in the wheel well area, A-frame, bumper, on springs and axles, on frame (what is accessible from the exterior storage compartments), and on stabilizer jacks and after 2 years its holding up well. I may have to do some touch up next year. Here are some photos.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
RISK

Post by RISK »

Dang, looks good! I just spray everything down with corrosion x and hope it doesn't break.

An observation: my shackles, springs and axles are on the hole closer to the ground. More clearance I guess.

As for resizing images, I was hoping to do it through my phone as I spend more time than I'd like fiddling with images on my computer as a photographer.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
1977 Airstream Sovereign (in a million pieces)
RISK

Post by RISK »

Here you go Rostam,
A couple pics of the install.
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

Excellent! Thank yo so much!
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Hello Ian,
I am new to this forum. We recently purchased a 1988 30W. Our unit has the Adjust-a Ride 4 wheel independent suspension. I don't know how this compares to the suspension on your 1978. But I am in process of rebuilding the suspension and brake system.
Our unit is dual axle with one shock per axle. There are shock attachments on the axle for an additional shock but no corresponding bracket on the frame for attachment.
My research lead me to a Monroe Gas-matic shock, part number 555001. They match the external dimensions of the OEM shock and appear to be a direct fit. I paid roughly $40 each at Amazon.
I'm not sure how 2 shocks per axle would work on an Adjust-a-Ride suspension anyway. With one spring end fixed and the other floating, I would think they might counteract or negate each other.
If you still can't find a solution for your problem, I have a contact at Dexter Axle. He's been there for 30 years and appears to be an Avion axle and suspension guru. He's a dying breed.
Let me know if you want his help.
Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
RISK

Post by RISK »

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the forum. I ended up finding a shock that fit and went with only four shocks total per Chuck Cayo's recommendation. I had to leave town the day after finishing the install of new springs and new shocks and haven't been able to take the trailer out for a spin.

Thanks for the offer, it's good to know.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Ian-

I'm going stick with 4 shocks total as well. It was built that way.

Cayo is about 200 miles west of me. I'm going to pay them a visit next month.

My trailer is up on blocks right now. Everything below (and including) the belly pan is out.

Can you tell how Avion ran the gas line from front to back? Was it above or below the belly pan? Ours ran under the pan. Combo of black pipe and copper tubing. Ran like a snake. It doesn't look like a factory install.

By the way, Ruth corrected me that ours is a 30-D, not a -W. Not sure why I referred to it as a W. Since we registered the trailer in her name, I'm in no position to argue.

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
RISK

Post by RISK »

Hey Bob,

My propane line on my Avion (and my Silverstreak and Airstream) all ran bellow the belly pan, outside of the trailer.
This is the way trailers are made. What you saw was most likely factory installation. Having the gas lines run inside the belly pan has proven that be a very bad idea in terms of maintenance, but most importantly, gas buildup in case of leaks. Even SOB fiberglass trailers are this way.

Keep the updates rolling in.

Ian
1978 26M
1964 SilverStreak Sabre
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

Hello Ian -

Yes, the gas fume concern did cross my mind. After pulling down some additional segments of belly pan, things like cross-members and holding tanks would be a PITA to work around. I have come up with a routing that should be more serviceable and protective than original, yet below the belly pan. I'll keep your posted.

Here's my conundrum: Having automotive engineering and residential remodeling backgrounds can be both bane and blessing when working on our trailer. Of course, it seems trailer manufacturers don't (or maybe didn't) have the compliance and code constraints imposed by government authorities. Throw in some repairs (good and bad) by previous owners and my thought process becomes convoluted at best and exasperating at its worst.

So please bear with me. Like the saying goes, "The comes a point in any project when it becomes necessary to shoot the engineer and start production."

Bob

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
D. Jonas Jr.

Post by D. Jonas Jr. »

Man this stuff is helpful. I'll be rebuilding the running gear on my 34V next summer. We have a two year plan to refurbish the coach then go full time in it. I plan to have the three axle sets in as good as shape as possible before we hit the road. So glad to have this information.