Im missing something and its more important than my marbles.

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
FairAuction

Im missing something and its more important than my marbles.

Post by FairAuction »

So I recently happened upon a video on facebook about a trailer and naturally, I watched it. It was about hitch pin safety and how several people have died from trailers coming disconnected to their tow vehicle. The video recounted caught-on-video incidents of trailers coming un-hitched, and literally destroying other vehicles/people/property. At that moment, I realized, what is keeping my trailer attached to my van? There is no hole for the traditional style clevis pin (metal bar looks like the letter P with a beer belly). Also, its not evident where any Cotter or Slic pin might fit to prevent the hinged/sliding locking bolt from coming off.

Any one have an example of what they use to make sure the trailer doesn't come un-hitched? THANKS :?:
The project: topic190.html
silverloaf

Re: Im missing something and its more important than my marbles.

Post by silverloaf »

The coupler and lever on my 1988 30P are quite a bit different than yours. Mine also has a 1/4" through-hole for a clevis pin.

Have you considered removing the lever to see if you can drill a through-hole in something solid under the lever?
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
FairAuction

Post by FairAuction »

silverloaf wrote:The coupler and lever on my 1988 30P are quite a bit different than yours. Mine also has a 1/4" through-hole for a clevis pin.

Have you considered removing the lever to see if you can drill a through-hole in something solid under the lever?
SIlver- I've thought of maybe drilling a hole just to the right of the rivet, on the foreword edge of the hinged lever. thats the only place there is two piece of metal passing by each other. The more I look at it the more I think the hole at the top of the lever and the bolt have something to do with each other.
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

On my 68 there is a small hole on the drivers side for a hitch pin or lock. It seems to the trick on mine. I cannot lift the hitch off the ball with the lock in place.
FairAuction

Post by FairAuction »

Sawmiller wrote:On my 68 there is a small hole on the drivers side for a hitch pin or lock. It seems to the trick on mine. I cannot lift the hitch off the ball with the lock in place.
Thanks Sawmill! Literally a LOCK hole!
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

Be sure to test with the tongue jack.
Sawmiller

Post by Sawmiller »

I was able to raise the coupler with the lock in place, but the lock prevented it from coming off the ball.