1987 34W - Adjusted toe/camber of the right rear axle

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Razorback

1987 34W - Adjusted toe/camber of the right rear axle

Post by Razorback »

One of the projects I have been wanting to get done is to adjust the right rear axle. When we bought the trailer, there was evidence on the old set of tires that something was not aligned properly on the right rear. I thought it was just toed out, but as I worked on it this morning, it was evident that it was also cambered out at the top, causing the outside edge of the tire to wear prematurely.

I had reviewed the owner's manual before, so I knew that the axles could be adjusted to hopefully fix both situations. So, I jacked up the trailer, blocked it securely, and crawled under to make the adjustments. The eye of the axle pivot had 4 washers on either side of the eye. I moved two of the washers from the back side and moved them to the front to adjust the toe-in, and moved the pivot bolt from the middle hole to the lower hole.

I think that will take care of that issue. We'll keep an eye on it and see.

Now, on to the new bearings, races, and grease seals!
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Re: 1987 34W - Adjusted toe/camber of the right rear axle

Post by silverloaf »

nralifer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am One of the projects I have been wanting to get done is to adjust the right rear axle. When we bought the trailer, there was evidence on the old set of tires that something was not aligned properly on the right rear. I thought it was just toed out, but as I worked on it this morning, it was evident that it was also cambered out at the top, causing the outside edge of the tire to wear prematurely.

I had reviewed the owner's manual before, so I knew that the axles could be adjusted to hopefully fix both situations. So, I jacked up the trailer, blocked it securely, and crawled under to make the adjustments. The eye of the axle pivot had 4 washers on either side of the eye. I moved two of the washers from the back side and moved them to the front to adjust the toe-in, and moved the pivot bolt from the middle hole to the lower hole.

I think that will take care of that issue. We'll keep an eye on it and see.

Now, on to the new bearings, races, and grease seals!
What were the results of your changes to your alignment? Making changes to both toe and camber is pretty bold.
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Thank you for asking, because I neglected to follow up.....

Several multi-hundred-mile trips since the adjustment, the tire is now wearing so evenly that I cannot notice it.

Looks like a good fix! If you check yours, simply follow the directions in the Owner’s Manual.... it appears to work well. (PLEASE remember to support the trailer properly before you crawl under it!)
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
silverloaf

Post by silverloaf »

nralifer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:45 pm Thank you for asking, because I neglected to follow up.....

Several multi-hundred-mile trips since the adjustment, the tire is now wearing so evenly that I cannot notice it.

Looks like a good fix! If you check yours, simply follow the directions in the Owner’s Manual.... it appears to work well. (PLEASE remember to support the trailer properly before you crawl under it!)
I have either rebuilt or replaced all brake and suspension components on our 30P; this includes new tires. It is pretty much back to OEM condition and settings. I installed 5 washer/spacers on the front side of the axle yokes and 4 on the back side. According to Chuck Cayo, there should be 9 washers for each axle.

With this washer arrangement, the tires are supposed to be toed in 1/8". In motion, the rolling resistance should push the toe back toward the desired zero.

I have a little more work to do before take the trailer on a cruise with the new brake and suspension components. Then I can check both static and dynamic toe results.

Thank you for the reminder of proper support of the trailer while underneath. I had our trailer supported by 4 wood piers, 4 jack stands and the front electric jack for the past 4 months.Better safe than sorry.

Bob
" Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel.”

Silverloaf (Bob)
Dawsonville, GA
1988 30P