Location of spare.

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Avionstream

Location of spare.

Post by Avionstream »

My 1984 30p has the spare inside the rear hatch. There is a tire size depression dead center inside the door. The spare has been carried rolled to the left, that is where the holder is, but it sure looks like it would be better in the center as far as weight distribution goes. Anyone have one of these and can you tell me where your spare is located. Just curious.
Rostam

Re: Location of spare.

Post by Rostam »

My spare is in the rear hatch, on the left side. While it might not be the best arrangement as far as weight distribution is concerned, it does allow for fully using the right side of the rear hatch for storage (grill, tools, etc). Personally, I would not worry much about the weight distribution for a spare.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

That's were mine was too, I was just curious. Thanks.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

I'm considering adding at some point a BAL carrier that recesses under the trailer....

http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consum ... pare.shtml
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Just curious how many keep the spare attached to the rear bumper? This is something that would damage an Airstream. Can it be done with an Avion?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Just curious how many keep the spare attached to the rear bumper? This is something that would damage an Airstream. Can it be done with an Avion?
This is a perfect example of one of the HUGE differences between a gag/hack/cough-stream ( :D ) and an Avion. A REAL frame under the floor makes it possible to support a spare tire on the rear bumper without worry. I would not go crazy with weight back there (previous owner of our Avion had a 2-foot extension on the rear of the trailer to haul a generator set-up.....Was that UGLY or WHAT?!?... hacked THAT sucker off PRONTO after we got the trailer.... put it back to original.), but a spare tire would not be a problem.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Rostam

Post by Rostam »

I inspected 2 Airstreams and 2 Avions for purchase before I bought our Avion. One test I did was to stand on the rear bumper and jump up and down a few times. With Airstreams (one was early 80's, the other mid 70's), you could see a clear separation between the shell and the frame. With Avions, it was like jumping up and down on a concrete slab. You should be fine with putting the spare on the rear bumper. If you are really concerned, you could email Dr Gradeless (I expect him to say its fine as well). Avions, unlike Airstreams, are not just a pretty face. They are the real deal -- No corners were cut when building the trailer.
1978 Avion 26-H
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Rostam- my previous Airstream failed that bumper test you mentioned. Common problem with them.

Nralifer-- that's quite a platform that was on the back of your trailer. I guess it added room for bikes, generators, etc.

Ideally I'd like to mount the tire under the front of the trailer, similar to what my Airstream had. For the time being though a bumper mount sounds like the way to go. Any good theft resistant recommendations?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Our 34W came with the spare mounted on the rear bumper when new.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

KYAvion wrote:Nralifer-- that's quite a platform that was on the back of your trailer. I guess it added room for bikes, generators, etc.
In a way, I would love to have seen what he had set up on the back end. On the other hand, though, I thought it was extremely ugly on such a beautiful trailer. I can't imagine towing any trailer with a lot of weight (like a generator) hanging that far off the back of the trailer. Seems prone to some really weird action going down the road. And, even as strong as the Avion frame is, I'm not sure it should be expected to withstand the multiplied forces exerted on it while driving.

I might be all wet, too. But it's not for me.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W