Suspension progression.

Axles and Suspension Systems, Brakes, Brake Controllers, Wheels, Tires
Avionstream

Suspension progression.

Post by Avionstream »

What was the suspension on the first Avions called. I know later there was the moreride and then the adjusta ride and then something else for the last couple years of production? Is this the right order and terminology? Just curious.
KYAvion
Site Admin

Re: Suspension progression.

Post by KYAvion »

I do not recall the year cut-offs and I'm not sure what the EARLY Avions used, but I think the MorRyde stopped around or before 1980. From what I understand from speaking with Chuck Cayo, starting from better to worse it was the MorRyde, then Adjust-A-Ride, and then a torsion axle similar to Airstreams (starting 88 or 89?). Both the MorRyde and Adjust-A-Ride are considered better than the torsion axle since each wheel is fully independent. I installed new torsion axles on my 79 Airstream and I have the MorRyde on my 84 Avion (prior owner had it installed). I like the MorRyde better--all four wheels truly operate independently.
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

I looked through the Avion brochures I have available: the 1975's show the MOR/ryde suspension..... the 1978's show the Adjust-A-Ride suspension.

On edit: did a search on 1976 and 1977 Avions..... pictures show the MOR/ryde suspension on those.

1978 must be the cut-over year.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???
Avionstream

Post by Avionstream »

I have the adjusta ride and it appears to be four wheel fully independent. So much better than the junk on my last AS.
towingtrixie

Post by towingtrixie »

Hello! New to this forum. I bought a 1970 T-28 ultra back in the fall and it has been been in the shop 7 weeks (ugh) to get maryland state inspected. I finally got an estimate today. It took them this long to locate parts to repair the suspension (crazy). I think they were finally able to locate them because of information I found on this forum. Can you sense my frustration?? I am not mechanically inclined nor is my husband so doing it ourselves is out of the question. The camper place wants to charge me $2500 dollars in labor and $950 in parts. I feel like they are trying to hose me and unfortunately I have lost confidence in them. I am sort of at their mercy. Anyone have an opinion on this price? How many hours labor would this take for an experienced mechanic?
Thanks so much!
Jeanne
KYAvion
Site Admin

Post by KYAvion »

Is your suspension the MorRyde?

Can you say more about what was wrong with the suspension, and what you are having done?
KYAvion
1984 Avion 30R
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Any progress on this, Jeanne???

I looked at a 1970 Avion brochure and it says the trailers would have the Smooth-Glide suspension on them. Mentioned on pages 10 and 14, at least.
Razorback (Paul)
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F-250 7.3L PowerStroke
I'm a "whosoever"... are you???